Start with two essential steps. The first is to send out a plea to your coworkers, and the second is to check your email to see if I have already arranged for back-up coverage.
If the absence is unexpected and I did not come up with a plan already, please call me (or Mark if I am not available). I have added a new sidebar to the blog called, "Missing Workers?" that instructs you what number to call depending on the time of day. In general, you always want to try my office phone first. If that doesn't reach me, try Mark's office phone. If it is late night, the weekend, or neither of us pick up, then you should call my cell. If you still can't reach me, then it's time to call Mark's home. I know that's a lot to remember, and that's why I made it a sidebar on the blog.
Once you contact me, I will either come staff the desk myself or reach out to the appropriate department contacts to see if they can help us out.
The goal is to always keep the Info Desks staffed by Info Desk people. Although security can relieve you for quick breaks, it is not their job to staff our desks for hours on end. Circulation has also been helping us out lately, but they obviously have work that they need to accomplish in their own unit.
Please see me if you have any questions about the new procedure.

No comments:
Post a Comment