Basically, whenever possible, we are to stay in our own unit/department for coverage. The Information Desks are a unit within the Access Services Department. If you are short, or even if you just have to go to the bathroom and there's no 4th person present, I should be the first person you call for coverage because I am part of the Info Desks team. The second person would be Mark. He is closer to our operation than the other units because he is my supervisor, and therefore my back up person.
But what if I am already staffing a desk, like I do when we are down 2-3 people? Still call me. I will call around within the Access Services Department to find another person to staff the desk. Sometimes, it will be a Circulation student or supervisor. Again, this will be the case even if you just need a bathroom break or need to grab something out of the Lost and Found.
Up until now, Security guards have been the first call for bathroom breaks, but this should no longer be the case. Both Mark and I are not in the office, please call Circulation to ask for someone to cover while you use the restroom or grab something from the lost and found. The one exception to this is if the Security guard is already nearby. Feel free to ask them if they are already around your desk, but they should not have to come back from roving the stacks to relieve you for a quick break. The theme here is that we need to rely on our own department whenever possible.
When we have exhausted our other options for coverage, then we call Security. The only time we would call Security before Circulation is for opening and closing. Security guards have been trained on how to open and close, but Circulation has not. However, if we called Security to assist with opening, we would need an Info Desk or Circulation person to immediately relieve them. It is not their job to staff our desk for extended periods of time, even for fifteen minute breaks.
Here's the organization chart for Access Services to help put things in perspective. You can see that Circulation is our sister unit, also under Mark, who is the head of Access Services.
No comments:
Post a Comment