Vision Statement

Our mission is to create a safe and welcoming space for library users.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Staff person ignored building policy, what should I do?


Let's say you are working your shift and a staff person comes waltzing through Doe or Main stacks with a nice chilled vanilla latte that they plan on enjoying in their office. Here's how the conversation should go:

"Excuse me, but there is no food or drink allowed in this building. You can leave it at the Doe entrance or Moffitt entrance, or enjoy it in Moffitt (if you have a Cal1 Card) or FSM."

"But I'm staff."

"Oh ok! In that case, I can give you a bag to conceal your food if you show me your staff ID. We do this so other patrons don't get confused about the policy." FULL STOP.

If they look at you like you're crazy and then keep walking, we do what we do for all other patrons who are not following policy - call security.

Mark and I can also follow up with non-compliant staff members, but we would need their name in order to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment