Vision Statement

Our mission is to create a safe and welcoming space for library users.

Monday, June 6, 2016

Partial Coverage - New Procedure


Many of you have expressed the need for clarity when it comes to whether or not partial coverage is ok. I am laying out some new rules for us

Basically, it is no longer ok to offer a partial cover for a full shift that has been posted. If a partial cover would be acceptable, it is up to the poster to make that clear from the beginning. I hope that this policy will help accommodate those who need covers, while minimizing confusion. Here are the new guidelines.

Shift Posters
  • Unless stated, we will assume you need the WHOLE shift covered
  • You CAN request partial coverage as long as you can work the remaining hours of the shift
  • When requesting partial coverage, do so in the subject line
    • For example, you might post, "Saturday 1-3pm"
    • It is also ok to say "Saturday 1-3pm OR 3-6pm"
    • Or alternatively, "Saturday 1-6pm partials ok"
  • The first person to reply all will be confirmed for whatever hours of the shift were specified and has property rights to those hours, even if someone else could have covered the whole shift
  • If the poster decides they would rather have the rest of the shift covered as well (for example 2-5pm from the shift above), s/he can post the rest of the hours in a new thread

Shift Picker Uppers
  • You may pick up part of a shift only if it is posted as a partial

On my side of things, I will not be scheduling recurring partial shifts unless we are in a pinch. I may schedule a recurring partial on a temporary basis (like a summer schedule) or with the understanding that I may need to hire to fill the whole shift.

From time to time, I may specify in an email that partial coverage is ok for a particular shift; this probably means we have no one for the shift and I will take any coverage I can get. For ONE DOWN emails, partial coverage is always appreciated and accepted. At that point, we are desperate for people.

See me with questions.

Search terms: partials,

No comments:

Post a Comment