Vision Statement

Our mission is to create a safe and welcoming space for library users.

Friday, March 18, 2016

Providing service - be helpful, but know when to refer


Let's talk about some good and bad customer service situations and when to refer!

Situation: Patron asks you a question you do not know the answer to.

Bad:  Make up the answer.
Bad:  Just say no.
Bad:  Just say I don't know.

Good:  "I can't help you with that question, but let me direct you to someone who can."

Situation:  Patron comes to claim an item from Lost and Found, but you are down one.

Bad:  Immediately call security to assist.
VERY Bad:  Say "Sorry, come back later."

Good:  "We are short staffed at the moment. Can you wait while I call someone to assist?" Call using the phone list section for "Brief Desk Coverage." First try Info Supe, then Access Services Manager, then Circulation.

Situation:  Patron asks "Where can I find this book?"

Bad:  "Sorry, I can't help you with that."
Bad:  "Come on back behind the desk and we'll search for it together!"
(Remember, we have to stay vigilant so it's better to refer to the appropriate department)

Good:  "You can do a keyword search in the library catalog to find the location and call number. There are computers on the 2nd floor and Reference librarians if you need help."

Situation:  Patron asks a question that you do not understand.

Bad:  "I've never heard of it so no, we don't have that."
Bad:  [Deer in the headlights stare]

Good:  "I'm not familiar with what you're referring to. Can you tell me more about what you are looking for?" If it still doesn't ring a bell:  "You can ask at the Reference Desk." [give directions]


Remember, there are many ways for patrons to access our materials, and patrons may be unfamiliar with all of our services.


If a patron can't access Moffitt, they can talk to Privileges to find out their options. (For example, did you know that public school teachers are eligible for a courtesy borrowing card? Or that CSU and community college students are eligible for a reduced-cost card?)

If a book is not in in our catalog, they can talk to Reference to find out other options. (For example, maybe they can order it through Interlibrary Loan!)


No comments:

Post a Comment