Vision Statement

Our mission is to create a safe and welcoming space for library users.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

HALT! who goes there?

Rebecca conveyed a relevant scenario that happened at Moffitt, and as it's resolution is a good model of how to handle unorthodox situations, I am sharing with you all to confirm we are all on the same page.  This regards how to handle, students who are trying to bring in drinks/food (in the proper baggage) to their work internal to Moffitt (or not!).

Here is Rebecca's tale (edited for space/content):

Today a patron tried to enter Moffitt library with a cup of coffee in a paper bag. I told her the coffee wasn't allowed in the library and she said "I work on the 5th floor" and I said "you can't work on the 5th floor because there aren't any offices up there" and she responded with " that's what my friend who works here told me to say." She asked if I would let her in anyway, and I said that she still couldn't bring in her drink.  She got upset and went back toward FSM, finished her coffee and came back through the entrance portal.

Because the student workers don't have an "S" on their ID or an "A", it makes it difficult to know whether they are lying about "working here" or not, unless you know their face and you've seen them work before.

Is there any way we can/should check the student workers' stories? Is it okay for them to bring food in?

This is a fantastic question, and resolution to the problem; so here is the feedback I provided her, for all of your respective benefits:

Too bad students are figuring out ways to circumvent, I think you alighted on the right solution though.  Obviously, there are no places to work on the fourth and fifth floors, so I am glad you cared enough to spot this gaffe on the part of the fraudster.  

However, if she had said second floor, it may have been plausible enough, and as a Library employee, ostensibly going to her office, she would be allowed to bring in drink/food in proper baggage.  

So a best practice would be to ask the person to step aside, and inquire "who is your supervisor?" (if you do not recognize them from regular entry)

The answer can be easily verified via the staff directory.  If they tell you they don't know the name, they are full of crap, and should not be let in with their food/drink.

As for the "friend" who told this example fraud person how to circumvent policies, I am assuming it was someone else in the Moffitt Library; because, if I ever hear any of the InfoDesk are actively looking to undermine our Library policies, you can expect immediate termination.  This also goes for willful negligence in enforcing the ID card requirements at Moffitt.

 Good question, appreciated...

No comments:

Post a Comment