Hi all,
So, something I learned early on, from both SLEs and Security, is that a lot of students leave the Main Stacks laptop and the famous Mouse Key at Moffitt when they close. It was always mentioned how much simpler it was, and everyone seemed seemed to know and expect them to be there. Although it went against our policy, I wanted to codify this as the official procedure from now on since this was how most folks operated. Reflect what people actually do. The only thing that would get me to nix that idea was if there was a security reason why we're supposed to do it that way. If that was the case, then we have to follow that.
Unfortunately, yes, it's a security thing.
There simply isn't enough required layers of security on these items in Moffitt. We've had incidents with unauthorized people rummaging through the same places folks tend to put those two things. I hope that in the future, there is enough built-in protection to securely leave both in Moffitt. I'll bring that up with Mark the next time I meet with him, although that may be years in the making. As it is though, I don't think the layers and layers of scotch tape on the drawer at Moffitt 3 is protecting much of anything. That thing can't even fight a slight breeze. I asked about Moffitt 4 as an option, and that's currently a no-go as well.
So for now, the Laptop, Laptop Bag, and Mouse Key need to be taken to the Lost and Found Room at Doe South when Moffitt closes, and picked up there in the morning to open it.
No comments:
Post a Comment