However, we realize that calling security can be easier said than done if a patron is parked in front of your desk. Please use the following options if you are in an uncomfortable situation:
1) Be direct.
When a patron won't leave the desk, we totally support you telling the patron to leave - we're not concerned about customer service in this case. Here's some examples of what you could say:
- This is a public service desk and I need to look available so other patrons will approach. I need you to leave the desk now. [Fails to leave] I am going to call security if you continue standing there.
- I am at work and I need to be working. This is an interruption. Please leave the desk now.
- If a question takes more than two minutes, I am supposed to refer you to another desk. You can speak to the Circulation/Privileges/Reference desk if you have further questions, but you need to leave the desk now.
- This is unwelcome. Leave the desk or I will call security.
If you feel uncomfortable and would like to be relieved to call security away from the desk, call the workleader and use the code word "blue folder." Some examples,
- Hey Supervisor, I'd like to get some work done on the BLUE FOLDER.
- Oh hi, can someone bring me the BLUE FOLDER?
- BLUE FOLDER [hang up]
Workleaders, send your extra to relieve the person from the desk. Many times, the movement of personnel will cause the patron to move along. The person getting relieved can then radio or call security from another location (be aware that radio broadcasts are very public - you could ask security to come speak to you instead of explaining over the radio).
Remember, we also need to document these incidents in an Incident Report so we will have grounds to ban the patron if the behavior continues. Please also keep me in the loop so we can make sure we are doing everything to foster a work environment free of harassment.
This also includes to when you get off work. If you notice worrisome behavior from a patron when you are leaving your shift, let me know and we will address it.
Search terms: loiter, loitering, creep, creepy, folders
No comments:
Post a Comment